3 reasons to love picnic knives
There are many reasons to love picnic knives - here are just a few:
1) Picnic knives remind you of happy memories
Picnics are associated with travel and adventure, good times with your family, yummy food and fun out-doors. Your favourite picnic knives help anchor happy memories of times you spend together with your loved ones, year after year.
2) Picnic knives are designed to be safe and practical
A good picnic knife will fold, and have a round edge safety tip, and be sharp enough for essential picnic duties without risking injury.
3) Picnic knives are environmentally friendly, and save you money
Use stainless steel picnic knives rather than polluting the environment with plastic rubbish. Billions of plastic knives and cutlery are used and discarded around the world every year (the statistics are horrifying). Plastic cutlery cannot be recycled and ends up in landfill for eternity! Disgusting when you think about it. And plastic knives don’t work! Investing your own set of quality knives will certainly help prevent unnecessary waste of plastic, and… money.
With all these benefits in mind, we have zoned in on the Opinel Picnic knives.
Opinel offers a range of knives that are suitable for the role of “picnic knife”, however the No.07 style with rounded tip, fits our criteria, and is very well priced, so it is very much in the running to be awarded the KnifeLife’s Best Picnic Knives in the World title! (Please feel free to vote in the comments below)
The knife is made out of Swedish Sandvik stainless steel (12C27 modified), and has a varnished wood handle, but also comes in a range of vibrant colours. Vibrant = Happy. Offering a bunch of safety features including rounded tip and safety ring, the knife also folds for convenient and safe storage. Perfect spreading, and sharp enough to cut tomatoes.
Interestingly, originally it was made as a whittling knife for children and in France, is still referred to as ‘Mon Premier Opinel’ – ‘My first Opinel’….
No.07 round-tip is very versatile too, as they are super practical for a myriad of uses - DIY, Adventure, Art, and Scout groups have been using these for decades.
The advantages of this round-tipped knife are:
• It is light to carry - weighs less than 50g
• Easy to spread with, as you can’t spread with a pointed tip but you can with a round one
• Safe- with knife closed and locked there is no possibility of stabbing or cutting through gear, even if hiker falls on it
• Sandvik Stainless steel blade needs no special care
• Holds edge very well
• Easy to sharpen and touch up
• Comfortable ergonomic handle
• Handle made from wood that has been sustainably harvested
• Tradition - over 120 years of family-owned production
Not a bad idea to have a set in you car boot, not just the picnic basket!
The Opinel picnic knives are effortless, and are essential tool for an enjoyable picnic.
Fill out the form below to receive a list of Opinel stockists near you.